About Read by 4th
Read by 4th is a citywide campaign bringing together an ever growing coalition of partners working towards a shared vision that all children will be reading on grade level by the time they enter the 4th grade.
Why This Matters
By the start of the 2016-2017 school year, almost two thirds of children in Philadelphia entered the 4th grade unable to read at grade level. Fourth grade is the year when instruction shifts from learning to read to reading to learn. As a result, students who are not reading proficiently by the 4th grade may struggle in school and fall behind their peers.
Fortunately, research has shown that all children are capable of making great strides in their reading ability as long as they have support from adults inside and outside the classroom.
Through a comprehensive research review, Read by 4th believes the key levers to achieving grade level reading are: School Readiness, Daily Attendance, Quality Classroom Instruction, and Out-of-School Learning Experiences.
Based on these findings, we created Six Bold Ideas with the aim of transforming Philadelphia’s children into strong readers.
About HandsOn Connect
HandsOn Connect provides a link for individuals, families, teams, and corporate groups to join together and engage in meaningful volunteer opportunities.
We strive to promote volunteerism and get people involved in their communities. HandsOn Connect does this in partnership with other organizations so we are working together to bring about long-lasting change in our communities. From motivating children to discover and learn, to serving hot meals to low income families, to caring for the environment, to large scale transformational projects, HandsOn Connect is responding to critical needs.
HandsOn Connect provides screened and supervised activities that serve to build capacity within nonprofit, faith-based, and public organizations. We're about empowering people to make change. Join us…be part of the change!
HandsOn Connect is a technology working to improve lives and build a stronger, healthier and safer community. Our goal is to meet critical community needs by engaging people with volunteer opportunities in collaboration with others.
- The community and people we serve are our top priority
- The services we provide reflect honesty and integrity
- We promote diversity and believe that serving together creates opportunities for people to appreciate the differences of others
- Through teamwork we can achieve tangible results and effectively address community needs
- We value every individual’s capacity to make a difference and bring lasting change
- To promote and expand opportunities for voluntary service throughout our community
- To provide and support innovative leadership training
- To effectively gather volunteers in emergency relief situations
- To address important community needs by concentrating resources into engaging, well-planned, and meaningful community service projects
Sign up today!
Click on Sign-Up / Registration to create your account on this site. After registering, you'll be able to search and sign up for Volunteer Opportunities.